incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: External dependencies (was Re: [discuss] remove of binfilter module)
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 16:15:31 GMT
On 16.06.2011 16:45, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:39 PM, Greg Stein<gstein@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 12:09, Pedro Giffuni<giffunip@tutopia.com>  wrote:
>>> On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 10:59:12 +0200, Mathias Bauer<Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net>
>>
>> The repository can contain code that is licensed with a permissive
>> license (ALv2, MIT, BSD). Of course, we try to have only "our" code,
>> but over in httpd is a copy of PCRE, and APR has a copy of Expat.
>> Stuff that is not "our" code must be listed in the NOTICE file.
>>
>> We cannot have any code in the repository that has a reciprocal license.
>>

> Could you clarify one thing for me, please?
>
> I thought we could take the Oracle code as-is, and check it in, verify
> that it is complete and builds, but that we would then be required to
> resolve the license issues before could have a release or graduate.
> Is that incorrect?  Are we required to resolve these issues before we
> even accept the SGA'ed code?  It makes it difficult to collaborate on
> resolving these issues if we cannot get the initial code into SVN.
>
> -Rob

The Oracle code as-is will not be sufficient to build anything.
The initial list of files from Oracle misses several thousand files
(e.g. nearly the complete build system files) because these files don't
have copyright headers in them. To the best of my knowledge, they are
under Oracle's copyright, but it's not up to me to decide on that.

People are working on that, but we obviously have to wait. Let's use the
time to go through all files where the copyright situation is unclear or
where we already know that the copyright holder is someone else (I have
posted a first list already).

Regards,
Mathias