incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Rist <andrew.r...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [discuss] remove of binfilter module
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 19:06:53 GMT
One approach we might look at here is to take this into consideration as
we create the build system.
If pieces of OpenOffice that are in question can be either included (or
excluded) through the build process,
different users of the code can make different decisions.
I can see justification for both decisions in terms of the document filters:
  - one build that tries to be barebones and only includes filters for
high usage document formats  (*** maybe with the ability to add filters
on demand from the cloud??? hmmm...)
  - another build that includes all of the filters ever made (the
rosetta stone for documents)

In a similar way, I could see distributions limiting themselves to
Write, Impress, and Calc, for instance , creating a smaller build with
no Java dependency.

I think by properly structuring our build system, we can avoid forcing
these types of decisions, while also opening up the possibility of
multiple options in terms of packaging up the product to suite different
audiences.

A.