incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Hollmichel <martin.hollmic...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [discuss] remove of binfilter module
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 18:50:46 GMT
On 06/15/2011 07:59 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Martin Hollmichel
> <martin.hollmichel@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> Build time no matters in this case. No user will understand this
>>> argument. And the question is for wath we are here. To make a good
>>> product for end user, or to play around with code?
>>>
>> this raises a good question: how to make Product Management decisions ?
>> The past has shown, that decisions driven by one main contributor are
>> not necessarily the best ones. I'm wondering how can we establish
>> something like a voting system for doing the right or at least good
>> decisions. I also think, the one contributor - one vote thing also don't
>> work out in this user centric matter (I think it will work well for
>> engineering centric questions). We need something to identify good
>> representatives of user communities to be able to do good decisions.
>>> As QA I can't accept to remove samething to save Build Time, sorry.
>>> Byside you can dissable binfilters if you build samething who does not
>>> afffect the binfilter.
>> It's important to bring the interests of all groups, engineering, QA,
>> marketing and users to a common ground. This raises also the question
>> which priorities are driven by whom, and how they get represented by whom,
> Short answer: don't vote!  Yes, we want to include everybody!
I canot agreed more, ...
> Here's a few links:
>
> http://s.apache.org/H8J
> http://s.apache.org/D16
> http://community.apache.org/committers/

... but these links don't really help me, since the OOo community and
it's ecosystem(s) are much more than committers.

The main objective is to bring as many developers as possible into the
projects, many small and some big players in the Ooo market are able to
do this. The key is, how do we listen to all the small players in the
OOo market to enable them to contribute to OOo via committers ?

There are now a few big ones (IBM, SuSe, Redhat, RedOffice, etc) in the
arena, but how will we enable the thousands of small catalysts (see
http://bizdev.openoffice.org/consultants.html) around the world to
become part of the community. I think we shouldn't ignore them,
>> Martin
> - Sam Ruby
Martin