incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: [discuss] remove of binfilter module
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 15:04:47 GMT
On 15.06.2011 16:52, Simon Phipps wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Mathias Bauer<Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net>wrote:
>

>> It was more than one filter; we had filters that imported Lotus 1-2-3 and
>> Excel spreadsheets(!) into Writer documents, but not any current formats,
>> but some versions from the stone age (DOS aera).
>>
>> The mere fact that nobody knew that these filters existed at all showed me
>> pretty clearly that obviously noone will miss them.
>>

> "No-one" is a bit strong.  OOo has a reputation as a "fix" for broken files,
> old formats and interop problems and it would be a shame to discard
> capabilities. I can see the point of isolating the code to simplify the
> engineering, but preserving the capability is important.
>
> S.

I fail to see the importance of being able to import DOS spreadsheets
into Writer. Importing them into Calc looks more useful to me, and Calc
is able to handle these formats (at least last time I checked).

Anyway, as it seems that binfilter is considered at least somewhat
useful, there is no value in throwing out these pretty useless Writer
filters, so they will find their home where ever the binfilter goes.

Regards,
Mathias