incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Bootstrapping a build
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 10:59:35 GMT
On 15.06.2011 12:46, Jens-Heiner Rechtien wrote:
> On 06/15/2011 12:20 PM, Christian Lippka wrote:
>> Am 15.06.2011 12:10, schrieb Mathias Bauer:
>>> Moin,
>>>
>>> there are two things about building OOo that need to be clarified.
>>>
>>> Currently we use "configure" to set the build environment. The way we
>>> are doing it requires that a few GPLed files are part of our code
>>> repository:
>>>
>>> acinclude.m4
>>> aclocal.m4
>>> config.guess
>>> config.sub
>>> configure
>>>
>>> "configure" is generated from "configure.in" that AFAIK is owned by
>>> Oracle and also resides in OOo's code repository.
>>>
>>> How can we do that in a code repository hosted at apache.org?
>>>
>>> The next problem is the build system itself. We have started to move
>>> our code to a new build system using GNU Make, but there is still a
>>> lot of code that uses another make tool, dmake.
>>>
>> Switching to GNU Make completely now may also be a good learning
>> experience for all developers new to the code base.
>>

> Right, but don't underestimate the effort in doing the conversion
> especially without having Ause, Michael or Björn around. Won't be
> complete for many months to come.

While it surely would be easier with Ause and Björn on our side, Stephan
and I can confirm that it's no rocket science. It took me a few days of
reading and understanding existing code to write my first build system
components for building zip and jar targets. I assume that others can do
something like that in a comparable time frame.

Stephan and I should know enough about the new build system to continue
the work on it together with interested developers.

Regards,
Mathias