incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Bootstrapping a build
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 10:35:38 GMT
On 15.06.2011 12:20, Christian Lippka wrote:
> Am 15.06.2011 12:10, schrieb Mathias Bauer:
>> Moin,
>>
>> there are two things about building OOo that need to be clarified.
>>
>> Currently we use "configure" to set the build environment. The way we
>> are doing it requires that a few GPLed files are part of our code
>> repository:
>>
>> acinclude.m4
>> aclocal.m4
>> config.guess
>> config.sub
>> configure
>>
>> "configure" is generated from "configure.in" that AFAIK is owned by
>> Oracle and also resides in OOo's code repository.
>>
>> How can we do that in a code repository hosted at apache.org?
>>
>> The next problem is the build system itself. We have started to move
>> our code to a new build system using GNU Make, but there is still a
>> lot of code that uses another make tool, dmake.
>>
> Switching to GNU Make completely now may also be a good learning
> experience for all developers new to the code base.

You won't be surprised that I would love to see that happen. ;-)

OTOH I know that this will keep people busy for weeks and months before
we can even recognize what parts of the code base are still missing or
what else needs to be fixed.

So for practical reasons I would like to see a first build of the
renewed code base with as little changes as possible and as fast as
possible.

So we could also start with taking binary dmake from the OOo 3.3
repository, do our fist build and then throw dmake out. If all
developers agree...

BTW: that would be a fantastic opportunity for a cooperation with the
TDF developers. The build system shouldn't be something where LO and OOo
are in competition. Agreeing on hosting the complete build system at
apache.org, contributing everything to that repository and moving both
code bases to it in a common effort would help both projects, IMHO.

Regards,
Mathias

Regards,
Mathias