incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Repository arrangement (was: [discuss] remove of binfilter module)
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 10:30:35 GMT
Hi Greg,

On 15.06.2011 10:48, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 03:51, Christian Lippka<cl@lippka.com>  wrote:
>> I do not know if apache allows to have multiple svn repositories for each
>> project.
>> But moving binfilter to a separate repository and refactor it to become a
>> build independent filter makes sense. Since it does not alter any core
>> internal
>> stuff, it is also something that one or more developers can work on without
>> interfering with ongoing core development.
>
> All projects at the ASF live in one single repository:
>    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/
>
> Thus, there is no notion of "multiple" repositories or "separate"
> repositories. The question revolves around organization of our area of
> the repository.

So then let's just express it differently:

We can have several "sub repositories" (in reality just sub folders of
/repos/asf/ooo) that can be checked out separately. That's an option
that you forget easily when you are used to DSCM.

In our own interest we should avoid having changesets that cross the
boundaries of these sub folders. This would create problems in case we
wanted to move to separate git repos in the future or allow to maintain
bridges or conversions to separate git repos.

Regards,
Mathias