incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From IngridvdM <Ingrid...@gmx-topmail.de>
Subject Re: #ooo-dev IRC channel registration
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 10:11:21 GMT
Am 15.06.2011 11:35, schrieb eric b:
> Le 15 juin 11 à 11:26, IngridvdM a écrit :
>> Am 15.06.2011 10:24, schrieb Greg Stein:
>>> All good. Now we just see how the community wants to organize.
>>
>> I would much prefer to use the mailing lists only.
>> IRCs have the tendency to continuously exclude those people who are
>> working in a different time zone and also those that are not always
>> online.
>
> That's true about the time zone, but I'd better consider IRC as another
> tool. IRC is in fact a complementary tool. More precisely we got :
>
> Mail : asynchroous, not localized
> IRC : synchronous, not localized
>
> Makes obvious both are different tools, and IRC is an important one too.
>
> e.g.Education Project used to propose ClassRooms (providing the logs to
> the -for whatever reason- excluded people), and this wouldn"t never be
> possible using mail.
>
> But that's not all, IRC allows to make meetings, or even debug, and work
> on the code .. and so on :)

E-Mail is so fast that it can be easily used as synchronous medium too.
I have often debugged and worked on code via mail, that works very well.
Meetings could be set up as a mail thread as well. I would guess that
even a class room thread would be possible.
The advantage of mail is that one can much more easy reconnect to the
discussion. Simply hit reply on the interesting topic. Whereas with a
provided IRC chat log, one has to copy/paste the right text portion from
somewhere to somewhere and mark it as a reference. The reader needs to
read all that text to identify to which topic this entry belongs to.
Mail threads in contrast do preserve the line of discussion inherently nice.

Ingrid