incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: [discuss] remove of binfilter module
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 08:51:31 GMT
On 15.06.2011 00:01, Raphael Bircher wrote:
> Hi at all
>
> I'm not sure if the Users are so happy with it. LibO had the same
> discussion same month ago, with the result uf user protests. Switch back
> to a older OOo Version is not realy a option, because it's not easy to
> install two different OpenOffice.org on one mashine.
That rings a bell - we don't know how and where people might get an old
OOo version in future. So that's something we have to take into
consideration.

A binfilter extension won't be a solution, at least not with the current
binfilter code and the current extension infrastructure. I have an idea
how that could be solved, but discussing that now would be too
distracting from the more basic problems we have now.

It seemed to me that Christian's proposal was more technically motivated
("get rid of the code"), not based on user experience considerations
("get rid of the feature"). But whether we keep binfilter as part of
OOo, make it a standalone tool or an extension, we will not get rid of
the code, building it, maintaining it etc.

All in all I would like to postpone a decision until we have a better
understanding of what we can deliver to our users and when.

Regards,
Mathias