incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Frank Peters <frank.thomas.pet...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Wiki for the project - wiki.services.openoffice.org provenance
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 04:56:18 GMT
Hi Thorsten,

>>> um, I think the point made here is that certain content is *not*
>>> copyright-shared with Oracle, and thus cannot be (easily)
>>> relicensed?
>>
>> The point was about licenses and not copyright.
>>
>> The mentioned wiki Copyright page says
>>    "Copyright 1999, 2010 by the contributing authors and
>>     Oracle and/or its affiliates."

> I think you've lost me here. Since Oracle does not exclusively own
> the copyright for individual content, surely it cannot relicense it
> unilaterally? Especially it cannot remove copyright statements like
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Authors_licensing_declaration
> as per http://openoffice.org/terms_of_use ยง4 c?

I understand your point but I actually think it is going into
the wrong direction. The license declaration is not a copyright
statement.

As per the wiki copyright page, Oracle and the contributing authors
co-own the copyright of the content. So this is the same situation
as for the code. As copyright co-owner, Oracle would be eligible
to relicense the content (as would the original contributors,
of course, and that is what they did in the license declaration).

> Disclaimer: I have a stake in this, being one of the people listed
> on the page above ...

Right. And again, I get your point and I especially get your
original motivation to join that declaration.

Best
Frank