incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kai Ahrens <ka_...@ahrens-netz.de>
Subject Re: Where does Microsoft Office support live? [Was Re: [discuss] remove of binfilter module]
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 23:54:25 GMT
Hi Dave,

Am 15.06.2011 01:11, schrieb Dave Fisher:

> On Jun 14, 2011, at 4:04 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>
>> Carl Marcum wrote:
>>> Would this include the MS xls, doc, formats?
>>
>> No. We are talking about ancient formats used only by StarOffice and
>> early versions of OpenOffice.org.
>>
>> The import/export of any Microsoft Office formats won't be affected by
>> the proposed change.
>
> Where does import/export of binary Microsoft Office formats live? Do the XML Office formats
live in a different place?

The code for the MS format filters is spread over the different
application modules, with a shared parts in different modules. So, each
application module - 'sc', 'sd', 'sw' - contains its own implementation
for import and export filters at different locations.

A common scheme to locate MS binary filtercode is to look at
{sc,sd,sw}/source/filter/... and filter/source/msfilter/...

MS XML filter code can be found at modules 'oox' and 'writerfilter'.

Speaking of ODF formats, more code is shared between the applications,
with a large part of code to be found in module 'xmloff', but additional
specific implementations in other modules like 'svx' and 'filter', as
well as 'sc', 'sd' and 'sw'.

A common scheme to locate ODF filtercode is to look at
{sc,sd,sw}/source/filter/xml, filter/source/msfilter,
svx/source/{unodraw,xml} and xmloff/source/...

Regards
Kai