incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Decision making at the ASF
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 21:11:24 GMT
How do we make decisions in ASF projects?

The short answer is copied below, if you want to learn more about the
specific processes mentioned here then you'll find links to more info at
[1] (note there are also some useful links for new committers at the
bottom of that page):

Decisions in Apache projects are the result of:

     action
     consensus in the community

We have, over the years, developed a very simple and effective approach
to consensus building and decision making. The vast majority of
decisions are made using lazy consensus, if the "lazy" approach to
consensus building is deemed unsuitable for a particular decision then
we seek to build consensus within the community. Very occasionally,
usually for formal reasons relating to legal responsibilities, it is
necessary to call a vote.

Each of these three approaches is described more fully on various
foundation and project sites. However, we've provided an initial
introduction to decision making here on the community development site.

[1] http://community.apache.org/committers/