incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Subversion & Git (was: Proposed short term goals)
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 20:18:41 GMT
On 14/06/2011 16:53, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:47, Simon Phipps<simon@webmink.com>  wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Greg Stein<gstein@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> I know that many people also have concerns with
>>> potential community issues. But that is all a discussion for a later
>>> time. Not here and now.
>>>

>> With respect, that was the same phrase used to defer discussion during the
>> proposal process. Leaving community concerns until all the decisions are
>> made and the only remedy is "those other folk will just have to do like we
>> do" doesn't seem wise.
>
> Subversion is a given.
>
> If you want to talk about Git at Apache, then follow Joe's advice and
> move that discussion over to infrastructure-dev@apache.org. There is
> zero sense in repeating the discussion here. I'm not trying to shut
> down the overall discussion, just to avoid it being *here* (ooo-dev).

To be clear. Greg is *not* saying OOo can never have Git. Greg is saying
that at the time of writing Git is not an option as on the
general@incubator list during proposal phase.

There are many community, legal, resource and technical issues to be
resolved before the ASF can provide Git. Infra have indicated that they
will provide Git if and when the issues can be satisfactorily addressed.

I believe Gregs point is that if OOo community members wish to make Git
available sooner rather than later then the only option available is to
join infrastructure-dev@apache.org. Then spend some time finding out
what the current status is, understand the problems that remain unsolved
and help solve them. Spending time arguing about it here will detract
from making progress on OO.o and not contribute to making Git a reality
at the ASF.

Folk around here will soon get used to Greg. It's worth watching him. He
represents the most common approach to development and discussion here
at the ASF. I'm sure he won't mind me using him as a case study...

Sometimes he can be a little blunt which comes across as "shut up, it
isn't happening 'cos I say so". What he really means (usually) is "this
is the wrong forum to make it happen, keeping the discussion here is a
distraction for me and the rest of the community" (or something like
that, clearly I don't want to put words in Greg's mouth, Whiskey usually
gets a better reaction).

Ross