incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Subversion history (was: Wiki, SVN, other resources)
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 17:17:18 GMT
Hi Greg,

On 14.06.2011 19:04, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 12:34, Pedro Giffuni<giffunip@tutopia.com>  wrote:
>> One doubt I have is whether the historic metadata from the previous OOo
>> Hg/bugzilla will also be imported. I would guess in the SVN repository
>> we want to start from scratch with the donated code, so the previous
>> history in Hg can remain where it is. The bugzilla database probably
>> has uncommitted code that is nevertheless property of OpenOffice.org.
>
> I believe that we want to bring over the history during the migration.
>
> 1) Oracle will shut down the Hg server one day. If we don't bring over
> history, then it gets lost.
>
> 2) We have clear rights to a list of files, which definitely means the
> current version. We can bring over previous versions under "fair use"
> rules since we never intend to *release* them. We will simply make
> them available on the web, much like Oracle is doing today.[1]
>
> 3) Having the history will make it a lot easier for our developers who
> need to investigate why something was done in a particular way.
>
> Right now, I believe our biggest impediment to an import is the list
> of "which files?". We know there are gaps... we need to figure out
> which files are necessary to fill those gaps, then request them from
> Oracle.

I'm working on the complete list of files that we miss. The list is
based on milestone m103 of the code line "DEV300". We can merge in newer
milestones as patches later. That would be easier than starting with a
complete new list, IMHO. But YMMV.

Please give me some more time to iron out the last details, there are
still a few hundred files that need to be checked.

History is another story. It is possible to "filter" the current
Mercurial repository and remove all traces of those files that we don't
move over to the Apache repository. The result would be another
Mercurial repository. I assume that a conversion from Mercurial to svn
without losing the history is possible.

But first we need the complete file list.

Regards,
Mathias