incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Subversion & Git (was: Proposed short term goals)
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 16:33:56 GMT
Simon,

On 14.06.2011 17:47, Simon Phipps wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Greg Stein<gstein@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I know that many people also have concerns with
>> potential community issues. But that is all a discussion for a later
>> time. Not here and now.
>>

> With respect, that was the same phrase used to defer discussion during the
> proposal process. Leaving community concerns until all the decisions are
> made and the only remedy is "those other folk will just have to do like we
> do" doesn't seem wise.

if you talk about "community concerns", you should be more specific
about which parts of the community are involved here. As we are talking
about a code repository, we should let the developers have their say
about it, as they are the ones that have to work with the tool. As I'm
one of them, let me start.

With Sam's explanations and promises ;-) I'm fine with giving the
current svn a chance. As I wrote, in the beginning we won't be hurt by
merging a lot as most probably we will have to work on "head" a lot
until we get a first build running.

If there was a chance to move to git in the future, we can do that
without losing anything. If there wonn't, why waste words about it now?

Even if we stayed with svn for a longer time, there wasn't a problem for
the LO devs, as interfaces or bridges between svn and git exist and are
known to work. AFAIK go-oo.org has practiced that already in the past,
even in times where OOo development produced much more code than it will
do in the forseeable future. If consuming OOo@Apache by Libre Office did
not work in the future, I'm pretty sure that the SCM would not be the
reason for that.

Nevertheless, if the LO devs will need help to make that bridging as
smooth and painless as possible, I will help where I can.

Starting with svn won't set anything in stone. Perhaps we should think
about our usage of svn now so that at least a later conversion to git
will be easy and without losses. We should be able to do that.

Besides that I would welcome to see git at Apache moving forward.
Perhaps I can ask our colleague Jens-Heiner Rechtien if he wanted to
help a bit with that, if that was possible.

Regards,
Mathias