incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Subversion & Git (was: Proposed short term goals)
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 15:28:10 GMT

 From our own experience the biggest problem with svn was merging of
branches.

We often had features that took several months of development time. We
didn't want to commit incomplete or buggy code to our master, so we
created feature branches for them and called them "child workspaces"
(cws). When a cws was finished, it had to be synchronized with the
current master before it could be integrated. Developers also might want
to merge in changes from master into their branch in between so that
code change conflicts can be be reduced or solved early.

This merging of branches took hours with svn and was a PITA. With
Mercurial it usually took only a few minutes and it was done completely
on a local computer. No problems with slow or interrupted internet
connections.

Beside that, if you ever worked with a DSCM, you never want to go back
to a centralized SCM. It's as easy as that. The OOo repo is huge, but
with Mercurial it took only a few seconds or minutes to create a clone
or 10 minutes to get the source from it. Checking out from svn over http
took hours. But I'm sure the pros and cons of DSCM are known.

*If* we had some options, I would like to think about the following ones:

- start with svn and decide later (at least in the next few months we
won't need feature branches a lot)

- have svn for the master and do all work on a git repo elsewhere that
at times is pushed to the svn master

- start with a git repo from the beginning

Regards,
Mathias