incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: "Some of our contributors" page
Date Sat, 18 Jun 2011 16:46:03 GMT

On Jun 18, 2011, at 9:24 AM, Marcus Lange wrote:

> Am 06/18/2011 05:02 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>> As was noted, we now have a basic web site set up for the project:
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/
>>
>> I'd like to draw attention to the "Some of our contributors" page in
>> particular:
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/people.html
>>
>> From what I can tell, the intent of this page is to acknowledge contributors
>> to the project.  And my sense was that this meant more than just committers.
>>
>> I added my own name, based on my contribution to getting the initial web
>> site started.  But I think this is probably worth having a discussion on,
>> especially since others, whose name has not been added, have also made
>> recent contributions.
>>
>> Question: How should this page be managed?  Is there an Apache requirement
>> for how this is handled?  Or does each project set its own rules?  If the
>> later, what rules do we want?  Do we want this to be comprehensive? Or
>> highlight only the "top contributors", by some definition.
>
> If only specific people, I doubt that we can find a rule that really all would agreed
to.

>> Personally, I'd favor acknowledging many, rather than few.
>
> ACK, who is recognized as contributor/committer/member should be allowed to add her/his
name. Or ask to add if they cannot do it themselves.

Each committer should update the roster to add their name, email address, affiliation (if
allowed) and area of interest.

Doing so is a great way to make sure that your apache account is properly setup and that you
will be able to commit your changes.

It serves as a test and it let's everyone know the individuals empowered to commit then review.
All other developers will then know those empowered to review then commit.

As committers we are the agents for the community and the community should know who we are
- one place.

> In the "old" project we had a long list of people that have helped the project and product:
> http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html

Sure. And we can have a page of known OOo "downstreams", providers like ODFauthors and "forks"
like LibreOffice.

> Maybe we can agree to some categories to avoid having just a long list.

Maybe Rob's five categories should be "Teams". Committers add their names to the teams they
plan to help in addition to the roster.

Regards,
Dave