incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <giffu...@tutopia.com>
Subject Re: External dependencies (was Re: [discuss] remove of binfilter module)
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 16:09:32 GMT
 On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 10:59:12 +0200, Mathias Bauer
 <Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net> wrote:
> On 15.06.2011 04:36, Greg Stein wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 21:50, Pedro Giffuni<giffunip@tutopia.com>
>> wrote:
>>> But some of that stuff is actually bloatware. I think libwpd,
>>> libwps
>>> and libwpg are basically in the same boat as binfilter: the
>>> functionality shall me made optional as external modules in the
>>
>> By moving these importers over to *optional* extensions, then we can
>> do several things:
>>
>> 1) simplify the initial build and dependencies, moving us towards a
>> buildable and useful package
>>
>> 2) add the functionality back in over time as developers' interest
>> focuses on it
>>
>> 3) retaining the optional status allows linking to LGPL and similar
>> weak-copyleft libraries
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was that nowhere in the
> code repository we can have code that links against LGPL code. And of
> course extensions are part of our code base also.

 We can link LGPL'd code (Qt and GTK are examples) we just can't
 carry it.

>> This goes back to a question that I had before: can file importers
>> fit
>> into OOo's extension system?
>
> <radio Erewan>"In principle yes, but..."</radio Erewan>
>
> Here's the "but": "real" extensions must use stable APIs based on UNO
> when the call into OOo and they also must export all their
> functionality through such APIs.
>
> Some filters do it this way, some don't. So some may become
> extensions, some can't. Usually it is quite some work to do to get
> filter code into a state that allows to use the filter as an
> extension. Must be checked for each filter individually.

 If we can't move it to extension we may be able to make the build
 conditional anyways. Something like:
      ./configure --with-binfilter

 but LGPL dependencies have to be moved out of the tree.

> BTW: none of our current filters has code not (co-)owned by Oracle,
> IIRC, so all existing filters could be made available under the ASL.

 If libwpd and others can be relicensed they are not a problem (yet).

 cheers,

 Pedro.