incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <giffu...@tutopia.com>
Subject Re: Myspell (was Re: An svn question)
Date Sat, 25 Jun 2011 22:47:23 GMT
 On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 21:03:39 +0200, Eike Rathke <ooo@erack.de> wrote:
> Hi Pedro,
>
> On Saturday, 2011-06-25 11:13:53 -0700, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
>
>> It would seem like the way to go about spell checking is to
>> it's waaay back!).
>
> Hunspell has some advantages over MySpell, see
> http://hunspell.sourceforge.net/
> After all, Hunspell was written because MySpell can't handle
> Hungarian
> properly. Ripping out Hunspell may also need adaption of the source
> code
> using it, but I'm not sure about that.

 Well, the issue is the license, and the alternative is to just remove
 spell checking and maintain it outside the OOo tree, as an extension.
 I hate to say this, but where I live Hungarian isn't even an option
 (schools beyond english, spanish, french, german and italian are
 marginal) so if hnugarian is the only extra feature they should
 consider relicensing.

 Yes we may need to do more changes but precisely for this type of
 changes it's good to have a VCS repository.

>> Also, the hunspell dictionaries are backwards compatible with
>> Myspell
>> so some people may not notice the difference.
>
> Not true, Hunspell uses UTF-8 encoded dictionaries while MySpell uses
> awkward single byte encoding. Every sane project uses Hunspell
> nowadays.
 Ugh... It's backwards compatible only.
 The hunspell sourceforge page says it works with myspell dictionaries
 too, so at least non-hungarians won"t have to look for new
 dictionaries.
 Licensewise, the only other alternative would be ispell.

 Cheers,

 Pedro.