incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Native Language vs l10n
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 19:42:14 GMT

On Jun 17, 2011, at 12:08 PM, Ian Lynch wrote:

> On 17 June 2011 19:55, Manfred A. Reiter <ma.reiter@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Joe, all
>>
>> Am 17.06.2011 20:26, schrieb Joe Schaefer:
>>
>> Whatever ultimately gets created at Apache will require
>>> active oversight by the (P)PMC.
>>>

>> 1. does it have to be that way... or are the rules made by man
>>

> Maybe delegation is the key. If one PMC member was responsible for the NL
> lists and each list had someone answerable to that person it means there is
> manageable delegation. Those lists are effectively autonomous unless there
> is some real problem which was rare I believe with the old OOo system.  Then
> the PMC member steps in.

Ian, Manfred, and Luis - you are all on the proposal and on the PPMC (assuming the paperwork
is done.) and you sign up for the private list.

Joe is a project Mentor.

If a group of you and others wants to work on the project by supporting the different language
communities then please start. Just keep the ooodev list informed. This page is a little old,
but the Jakatra/ASF story might illuminate: http://incubator.apache.org/learn/theapacheway.html

The OOOUSER wiki should be coming soon and it will be there for you to use.

AFAIK that wiki can allow contributions and certainly comments by the user community. That
will also need moderation.

In addition, Gavin McDonald in Infrastructure stepped forward while I was querying Infra about
Bugzilla vs. JIRA and asked about migrating the user forums.

Everyone has their own special "itch", if user support is yours please "scratch."

Regards,
Dave