incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [discuss] remove of binfilter module
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 19:18:09 GMT
----- Original Message ----

At the ASF being a committer takes on a more general meaning than simply
being another code developer.  There are lots of ways to contribute meaningfully
to the non-coding aspects of a project in areas of the ASF that are only
available
to people with committer karma.

> The main objective is to bring as many developers as  possible into the
> projects, many small and some big players in the Ooo market  are able to
> do this. The key is, how do we listen to all the small players in  the
> OOo market to enable them to contribute to OOo via committers  ?
>
> There are now a few big ones (IBM, SuSe, Redhat, RedOffice, etc) in  the
> arena, but how will we enable the thousands of small catalysts  (see
> http://bizdev.openoffice.org/consultants.html) around the world  to
> become part of the community. I think we shouldn't ignore them,

The primary focus at this particular point in incubation is to create enough
effective "feedback loops" so we can say the project has the ability to
construct a

self-sustaining development community.  (The "dev" in
ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
is short for development, not developer.  There are lots of additional
"development"
roles in a project of this size than the traditional coding role of a
committer.)

Since much of the basic infrastructure of the project is already operational
on the openoffice.org site, we can continue to use that as additional resources
come on line at the ASF.  Over the course of incubation I trust we'll be able to
migrate all of the "collaborative" services to ASF hardware, so things will only
improve over time.

But to Sam's earlier point, it's up to the people on this dev list to drive
and steer the overall activity thru consensus.  At some point mentors will try
to take a back seat and let the community take full control over its destiny.