incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffu...@tutopia.com>
Subject Re: An svn question
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2011 18:02:14 GMT
Disclaimer: I am no SVN expert but I play a lot with
FreeBSD's SVN repository.

--- On Thu, 6/23/11, Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm no svn expert, but I hope to find some here.
>
> We still have a lot of work in so called child workspaces
> (in Mercurial they are just an own repository that
> originates from the "main" repository).

In subversion those are "branches", so you create a branch
everytime there is a release or if you want to create a
your own custom project with experimental changes that will
be merged later on.

FreeBSD also has a vendor branch to bring in external
stuff. FreeBSD's transition document is here:
http://svn.freebsd.org/base/ROADMAP.txt

And an example of this in action is here:
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/

Apple's LLVM uses branching in similar ways.

cheers,

Pedro.