incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: "Some of our contributors" page
Date Sat, 18 Jun 2011 15:28:33 GMT

On Jun 18, 2011, at 8:02 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> As was noted, we now have a basic web site set up for the project:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/
>
> I'd like to draw attention to the "Some of our contributors" page in
> particular:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/people.html
>
> From what I can tell, the intent of this page is to acknowledge contributors
> to the project.  And my sense was that this meant more than just committers.
>
> I added my own name, based on my contribution to getting the initial web
> site started.  But I think this is probably worth having a discussion on,
> especially since others, whose name has not been added, have also made
> recent contributions.
>
> Question: How should this page be managed?  Is there an Apache requirement
> for how this is handled?  Or does each project set its own rules?  If the
> later, what rules do we want?  Do we want this to be comprehensive? Or
> highlight only the "top contributors", by some definition.
>
> Personally, I'd favor acknowledging many, rather than few.

Most projects (all?) have a roster of the PMC and committers.

http://tomcat.apache.org/whoweare.html
http://poi.apache.org/who.html
http://pdfbox.apache.org/team-list.html
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/team.html
http://httpd.apache.org/contributors/

The HTTPD Server project has Major Contributors as well with a big thank you to Rob McCool.

I really think that the OOo should follow a pattern like these. The HTTPD roster includes
greater detail. This might be good.

One of first things that new committers typically do in a project is to add their name to
the roster.

Very often it is the first commit!

Regards,
Dave