incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Do we need more moderators for ooo-dev?
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2011 02:09:26 GMT

On Jun 21, 2011, at 4:12 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 7:03 PM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:
>> I sent a note to ooo-dev, but accidentally from the wrong email
>> address, one not listed as an alias, though it was obviously from me.
>> Since then I've added that email address alias.  That was 4 hours ago.
>>  I made a similar error last week and it took around 8 hours for it to
>> be approved.
>>
>> Considering the traffic level on this list, and the large number of
>> newbies, would it be worth having some additional moderators, so
>> delays like this can be reduced?
>>
>> I'll volunteer to be a moderator myself.
>
> I have no problem adding PPMC members as moderators of the dev list, so: done.
>
> I'd like to hear more discussion before opening this wider.

Are you looking for policy?

There was discussion in one of the many email threads about non-english language mailing lists.
The point was made that for every mailing lists it is important for at least one PPMC/committer
to moderate mailing lists for spam and abuse. These individuals step into the role of moderator.
One of the duties of a moderator is to identify individuals who are committed to the project.
To do so ensures that the community is growing and healthy.

Some of the community are requesting language mailing lists. For these it is important to
have a reasonable number of developers (translators, qa,marketing, documentation) already
active in the podling who can support that language.  There was also discussion the other
way about language lists. The discussion here is the duties of a moderator.

It is not a small task. It is likely rather time consuming.

Regards,
Dave