incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <>
Subject Re: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members - AND USERS
Date Sun, 26 Jun 2011 15:31:32 GMT

On Jun 26, 2011, at 8:21 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> We have three basic options for legacy content:
> 1) Migrate it to a dynamic equivalent, e.g. form to forum, list to
> list, wiki to wiki.  This might be using the same software or a
> different one, though obviously migration is more difficult cross
> apps, especially in the absence of standard formats.
> 2) Archive the content statically, e..g., wget the entire wiki, forum
> or list and store the static pages for reference.  Ideally, search
> engines and external links don't notice the change.
> 3) Ignore the legacy content and let it disappear.
> I think this is a case-by-case decision that we'll want to make, based
> at least partially on how how active the existing service is.  If it
> gets no writes, but many reads, then #2 might be appropriate.  If it
> is active with both reads and writes then that would recommend #1.

The content won't disappear, existing mailing lists are archived externally here[1]
(I would suggest nabble as well, but I always find it hard to access mailing lists from their
home page.)

From MarkMail I see that Louis Saurez-Potts has sent 10,984 emails to the archived openoffice
mailing lists.

> -Rob
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 7:31 AM, Simon Phipps <> wrote:
>> On 25 Jun 2011, at 12:23, Rob Weir wrote:
>>> 3) Create lists only when there is a sufficient number of project
>>> members on the Apache list asking for new list.
>>> I think I like approach #3 better.  There are downsides to having more
>>> lists than we need. It fragments the discussion.  If we have 93
>>> language projects with each one having dev/marketing/user, etc.,
>>> lists, then we have 500 or so mailing lists, most of which see little
>>> or no traffic.  Do we really want to recreate that at Apache?
>> If this approach was taken, what would you propose should happen to the "history"
for all the lists that had not been migrated here by the time the Oracle-hosted servers were
turned off?
>> S.

View raw message