incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: ODF Toolkit Incubation Pre-Proposal
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2011 00:24:58 GMT
Keep in mind this thread is in three places or two places or one place all depending on how
people have replied. It will be confusing. Please include POI-DEV so we can discuss it here
without going everywhere else as well.

On Jun 27, 2011, at 3:44 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> FYI  Apache OpenOffice.org podling has been active for two weeks. Information is here.
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenOfficeProposal
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/openofficeorg.html
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/
>
> What do the people here on the POI project think of getting involved with the ODF Toolkit?
>
> I think it is an opportunity to make POI an even more universal piece in a document production
and consumption chain. Clearly there would be some hard work.

> There are few paths to consider.
>
> (1) Including the ODF Toolkit as part of Apache POI - which is an expansion of our mission
just like when it was decided to branch and support OOXML in POI 3.5 while still releasing
3.1 and 3.2. It wouldn't exactly be like OOXML4J.

> (2) As a new project, where those developing here and others could join and form a new
community in the Apache Incubator.

> (3) The ODF Toolkit should really be part of Apache OpenOffice.org
>
> What's important is what you think about this. Please express yourself!
>
> As far as how to reply to this? I'll reply all, but you can do what you like. I think
Apache policy is against over cross-posting because of this confusion. I already have two
copies of replies since I am on all three mailing lists.