incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Eike Rathke <...@erack.de>
Subject Re: Myspell (was Re: An svn question)
Date Sat, 25 Jun 2011 19:03:39 GMT
Hi Pedro,

On Saturday, 2011-06-25 11:13:53 -0700, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

> It would seem like the way to go about spell checking is to
> it's waaay back!).

Hunspell has some advantages over MySpell, see http://hunspell.sourceforge.net/
After all, Hunspell was written because MySpell can't handle Hungarian
properly. Ripping out Hunspell may also need adaption of the source code
using it, but I'm not sure about that.

> Also, the hunspell dictionaries are backwards compatible with Myspell
> so some people may not notice the difference.

Not true, Hunspell uses UTF-8 encoded dictionaries while MySpell uses
awkward single byte encoding. Every sane project uses Hunspell nowadays.
See https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Hunspell

  Eike