incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Andre Schnabel" <Andre.Schna...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Can we rationalize and formalize "a language project"?
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2011 12:02:42 GMT
Hi,

> Datum: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 22:43:24 +0100
> Von: Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com>
> An: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
> Betreff: Re: Can we rationalize and formalize "a language project"?

> Non-English core development lists are not acceptable.

Well - what exactly is "core development"? :)

E.g. I consider localization for an end-user focused office application
suite as core development.

> I'm not sure if there is precedent for non-english dev lists for
> translation and the like. I imagine that they *might* be acceptable
> but only if all proposals that affect code (other than language
> specific items) would need to be brought to the core list. My gut
> feeling is that it would be best to avoid them if at all possible, but
> that's just instinct (i.e. not based on practical experience).

You might change your mind, as soon as you see 20 Mails focusing
just on the question if a certain string should be
"via Doppelklick" or "per Doppelklick" - and all the discussion
would be in German. There are lots of discussions within l10n teams
to find the correct(tm) wording - and all this discussion (or the
result of this discussion) is important for the product.

So - imho this kind of discussion belongs to the OOo project but needs
to be in the translator's native lang.

regards,

André