incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Andre Schnabel" <>
Subject Re: Native Language vs l10n
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2011 11:55:23 GMT

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 16:47:42 -0400
> Von: Rob Weir <>

> It will be interesting to see how this works in practice.  For example, I
> know that translation will often result in strings that are longer than
> they
> were in English.  This happens when translating to German, for example.
> This might require that a UI be modified to fit the expanded strings.

Quite easy (that's what we do at TDF).
Supposed a native lang project has trouble with UI, as translated string
is cut in UI, one of the project members should:

- notify general l10n list and ask if other teams have the same problem
  or if anyone objects to modify UI

- modify UI and commit the modification (supposed there is someone in the
  native lang team with commit rights)

- and/or file a bug, requesting the UI change. Such changes are trivial
  and picked up quite fast

see as example

> 2) Language project is involved, with their liaison, with the Apache
> project
> throughout the release cycle, and is testing its translations at major
> milestones, beta, etc.  And then they are filing defect reports where the
> UI
> must be updated to accommodate the translation.

what I would be concerned about here is that (as far as I understand)
there might be a dozend people contributing to the translation of a
given language (and this is really a lot of work, as OOo has many many
strings with many many problems) - but as only one or two liason members
are eligible as PMC members (as only those are visible at Apache lists).

I'll answer about the need of native lang (non-english) mailing lists
at some other point in the thread.

View raw message