incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffu...@tutopia.com>
Subject Re: Some more strange files in the OOo code
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 22:47:30 GMT

--- On Thu, 6/30/11, Alexander Thurgood <alex.thurgood@gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 29/06/11 23:05, Pedro F. Giffuni a écrit :
>
> Hi Pedro,
>
> I was particularly wondering about this one :
>
> > Name
>     Version    license
> > __________
>
> > mysql-connector
> 1.1.0    GPL

Hi Alex;

> The connector-c package from Mysql containing the libmysql
> library is
> released under GPL2, at least that is what is says in the
> copy I have.

All MySQL is GPLv2. This is not really a problem for us
because this is some functionality we would be likely to
make optional: not every OpenOffice user requires a db
connector (although it is admittedly cool).

> Oracle owns Mysql, so one would have thought that in theory
> this code could also be granted to the ASF - however, it
> appears that that is still uncertain, since as you rightly
> point out the list given is silent on the licence
> information.

I think a connector license change would actually make a lot
of sense for *them*. The main competitor is BSD-licensed but
if they want to keep it copyleft I am pretty sure they know
the advantages of the CDDL, so perhaps someone should just
remind them ;) .

Pedro.