incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffu...@tutopia.com>
Subject Re: Some more strange files in the OOo code
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 18:36:14 GMT

--- On Thu, 6/30/11, Kai Ahrens <kahrens@apache.org> wrote:

> From: Kai Ahrens <kahrens@apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Some more strange files in the OOo code
> To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
> Cc: "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@tutopia.com>
> Date: Thursday, June 30, 2011, 2:47 AM
> Hi,
>
> Am 29.06.2011 23:05, schrieb Pedro F. Giffuni:
> > Hi again;
> >
> > I went through Mathias' list of external source
> tarballs.
> > The idea is to make sure that most of that stuff was
> updated
> > in FreeBSD and while doing that I checked the
> licenses.
> >
> > I found the following licenses missing from the
> > "ApacheMigration" list in the OOo wiki:
> >
> > Name
>     Version    license
> > __________
> > gdk-pixbuf
> 2.23.5    LGPL
> > gettext
>     1.18.1    LGPL
> > pixman
>     0.22.0    MIT?
> > ===
> > libgsf
>     1.14.21
>
> All above mentioned libs/modules as well as the following
> ones have been introduced for the OOO340 release branch in
> order to get
> SVG support based on librsvg:
>
> libpng-1.5.1
> glib-2.28.1
> pango-1.28.3
> libcroco-0.6.2
> librsvg-2.32.1
>
> The modules itself just contain the necessary patches to
> build and pack
> those external libs during an OOo build.

Most of those libraries tend to depend on the version of
gnome/kde that the distribution carries so ultimately the
values tend to be only for reference.

> As already said, the first ASF release of OOo wont't rely
> on librsvg anymore, but most probably will use 'Apache
> Batik' as rendering backend for SVG content. Since there's
> no build dependency and even no static runtime dependency
> to librsvg (and in consequence to the other libs),
> the above mentioned libs/modules should be removed from the
> ASF sources of OOo.

YES! Working with other Apache projects is greatly encouraged,
and it's also frequently desirable for licensing sanity. I am
looking a bit at PDFBox, which will also be interesting to bring
in, and it depends on bouncycastle, a java replacement for nss,
so that may solve yet another license issue.

cheers,

Pedro.