incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffu...@tutopia.com>
Subject Re: Getting to our first build
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2011 21:43:43 GMT

--- On Mon, 6/27/11, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:

> And one of those cells is for the dev work needed to get to
> a first build.  Not "first release", which would require QA,
> IP checklist and PPMC/PMC approval, but first build which
> is a bit simpler:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Build-Dev-Plan
>
> I've seen a few threads on the list related to
> investigations of various copyleft dependencies and
> whether they are indeed needed, and
> whether there are good substitutes.  This is good.

And it's not over at all, but I wanted to wait until
we have something in SVN to discuss ;-).

> But what I haven't seen is the higher level outline of how
> we are going to get to that first build.

I thought we were waiting for Oracle to go over the list
of files but that GPL stuff wasn't going to be transferred
to SVN at all.

> I think one approach would be to start with everything,
> which should presumably build, and then subtract.
> So check in everything from OOo into SVN, verify that
> it builds.  That establishes a known state.

I like that approach too. I noticed there's this:
http://svn.services.openoffice.org/ooo/branches/OOO320/

But then I think first build = last Oracle OOo (m340?)

> Then verify the IP.

This has already been done except for some of the external
dependencies.

I think there are two possibilities:

1- Wait for Oracle legal to OK the SGA and import only
the granted files. This way we start "clean".
2- Don't wait, but instead import the m340 tree and
start working on the dependencies while Oracle legal
does their part (soon?). This way we start somewhat
tainted but we can work now and we never get broken
builds.

> Of course, if there is a better way of doing this, please
> let me know,

I have no answers, but ultimately it all depends on
the person(s) in charge(?).

Pedro.