incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Hollis Weber <>
Subject Re: Source format for user guides
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2011 02:43:15 GMT
On Sun, 2011-06-26 at 21:45 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Andy Brown <> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
> >
> > I agree with Jean.  The manuals can be uploaded or linked to the wiki
> > page.  There is no need to reinvent a system that works as well as the
> > ODFAuthors does.  Forcing people to lean a new system that they have no
> > interest in will only drive contributors away.
> >
> > Andy
> >
> Can you clarify, please?  Is the intent to make ODFAuthors be part of
> the Apache OpenOffice project, e.g. run on Apache servers with
> PMC-elected committers having write access, other contributing authors
> submitting patches before being eventually voted in as committers, all
> working in the Apache project lists, transparently, with all work
> under the Apache license, with the PMC setting overall direction and
> approving releases?
> Is that the idea?  If so, this would be great.
> -Rob

No. None of the above is the intent. ODFAuthors is, and intends to
remain, independent. Some variation on our existing workflow and
procedures could certainly be accommodated. For example, OOo-related
discussion could be carried out on a mailing list at Apache instead of
on the existing list at OOo (or the ODFAuthors list), and "release
candidates" of user guide chapters could be approved by the PMC.

At present, the ODFAuthors lists and website are open and anyone can
comment, contribute, review docs, etc. It's a convenient, easy way for
people to participate in what is, effectively, community documentation.

The existing OOo user guides are dual-licensed, with one of the licenses
being CC-BY. If that license does not fit with Apache (is CC-BY-SA
required?), I'm not sure what to do; I'm far from an expert on
licensing. Getting agreement from all the contributors to the existing
docs would be impossible; many of them can't be found and/or are dead.

View raw message