incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Hollis Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com>
Subject User documentation planning
Date Sun, 26 Jun 2011 23:04:14 GMT
As many of you know, user documentation is my area of expertise. I've
been writing, editing, and publishing user guides for OpenOffice.org for
at least 7 years (probably more). I would like to discuss our plans for
user docs. I have started a page for this topic on the community wiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/User+Documentation
+Plan

There are three main planning topics regarding user docs:
* Content
* Source format
* Delivery format

These are related, but not the same. Some content may work better in
some formats (both source and delivery) than others.

CONTENT could be user guides (a term for multi-topic, typically
book-length documents) and a range of shorter document types: how-tos,
tutorials, FAQs, and so on.

SOURCE FORMAT could be ODT or wiki.

DELIVERY FORMAT could be ODT, PDF, printed, ePub, HTML, blog, wiki,
video, etc. For electronic formats, target hardware could include laptop
or desktop computers, iPads, Android tablets, smartphones, Kindles,
etc.

Each choice, and combination of content/source/delivery choices, has
pros and cons. We certainly don't have the resources (people or, in some
cases, tools and/or skills) to produce a full range of content types or
deliver in all possible formats, but we could have a "wish list" as well
as a plan for what we are going to do over the next 6-12 months.

--Jean