incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Hollis Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Files for wiki/web links
Date Sun, 26 Jun 2011 22:25:32 GMT
On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 08:25 -0700, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Jun 24, 2011, at 6:48 AM, Andy Brown wrote:
>
> > Wolf Halton wrote:
> >> Why not have it be an actual wiki page with option to download pdf?
> >>

> > I am willing to give it a try if someone can point me to instructions on
> > what to do.
>
> It is possible to do a PDF export of some or all of the Wiki Space.
>
> In the Browse menu choose Advanced.
>
> On the Advanced page there is a PDF Export action, click that and select which pages
you want from the space.

> I just did a quick setup on the PDF Layout. This is an Admin function and is restricted
to only a couple of us. If someone wants to volunteer to help admin the Wikis I am happy.
Let me know.

> Some relevant docs are:
> http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF34/Advanced+PDF+Stylesheet+Customisations
> http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF34/Editing+the+PDF+Stylesheet

Depending on the content of Andy's document (text only or text plus
images), and what form his source document is in (I assume ODT), then
exporting to wiki format and placing that on the wiki page, along with a
link to a PDF (generated from the ODT) stored on the wiki, could be a
good option.

In my experience, going from wiki to PDF works technically but often
results in substandard (poorly formatted) output if the wiki content
includes images. It's convenient for quick-and-dirty PDFs when the
source file is the wiki.

And my experience is with MediaWiki, not Confluence, so it may or may
not be relevant to this situation.

I'm very much interested in this whole topic, as it is relevant to the
future of user documentation in general for Apache OOo. I will
definitely be studying more about what the Confluence wiki can do.

--Jean