incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Some more strange files in the OOo code
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:40:19 GMT
Simon Phipps wrote:
> Certainly the code cleanup performed by the LibreOffice developers
> over the last 9 months has had a huge impact, both in terms of code
> footprint and performance.

Can you provide any supporting data? Having some "canonical" metrics
would also help in evaluating the future code rewrite that will have to
be done at Apache.

Not to diminish at all the work done by the LibreOffice developers, but
as far as I know the largest code cleanup changes (criteria: number of
developers involved, number of modified lines) made in LibreOffice
concerned translation of comments and removal of dead ("#if 0") code,
and this cannot affect footprint or performance.

I saw published stats about how the icon deduplication will reduce
footprint in future releases (and, to a lesser extent, in current
releases) of LibreOffice, but nothing significant on performance. Could
you share some data on it, and especially some metrics that can be
retested with the future Apache code to assess its performance
improvements? Thanks!

Note: of course the LibreOffice developers have also made a large number
of functional changes and improvements, but I'm just considering code
cleanup here.

Regards,
  Andrea.