incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: Oh, let's not forget @openoffice.org too
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2011 21:32:48 GMT
On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 14:00 -0700, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Jun 20, 2011, at 1:14 PM, Herbert Duerr wrote:
>
> > On 20.06.2011 14:33, Rob Weir wrote:
> >> I'm having difficulty reconciling the openoffice.org email forwarding
> >> service with how Apache projects work.
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> And remember, committers are given email forwards via an a.o email
> >> address.  So there is no functional requirement that I can see for an
> >> OOo address, other than the conventional postmaster and admin
> >> addresses.
> >>
> >> So I'd favor ending the OOo email forwarding.
> >
> > This would be very bad for e.g. issue tracking. I'm not sure how the bugtracker
database will get imported though. I think it would be useful if the issue reporters, owners
or people who put themselves on the CC list of an issue could see the progress of their favourite
tasks. The openoffice.org addresses were used e.g. for notifications or for attributing an
issue comment to a user.

> We certainly need a plan that does not simply stop openoffice.org email.
>
> We certainly need to make decisions based on all the email lists that currently exist
- which apache.org or other mailing list is the replacement.

> For notifications about issues both JIRA and Bugzilla can be set to notify the proper
apache.org mailing list.

> Does anyone have a handle on the numbers?

> How many individual forwards do we have?
>
> It would help to have some data before discussing with Infrastructure what they are willing
to support and when.

> >> The alternative would be to continue this service, but that begs the
> >> question of who is permitted such an address, what such an address
> >> means, who decides and what criteria are used to decide who gets such
> >> an address?
> >
> > In the old project everybody who wanted to e.g. add a detail to an issue could get
such an address within a few minutes. This is similar to how many other projects work, e.g.
KDE.

> So, ANYONE could get an openoffice.org email alias for their real email address?
>
> And there must be infrastructure to be able to change that email address and cancel it
as well.

> Messy, the bugzilla transition is therefore entangled with how we deal with openoffice.org.
>
> Does this personal openoffice.org email forwarding also entangle with the user forum
transitions?

Hi

I don't think so.

The registration database is totally separate.

There is the need for the phpBB system to have access to an SMTP server
and a single administrative email account. I can give details about that
on the intra ML if needed, but it's fairly plane jane stuff.

Otherwise when folks register they supply a real email address and the
forum software needs to notify them of an action, for example when a
response comes to a topic they opened, this real email is used.

//drew