incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Hollis Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What do we do at Apache versus what do we do elsewhere?
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 21:33:44 GMT
On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 08:43 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> I've seen several posts asking about how the core OOo development project
> will relate to the other activities such as user forums, translations,
> releases, language projects, etc.  I thought it would be good to have a
> single thread to discuss the general issues.
>
> As many of us know, with OpenOffice.org under Sun/Oracle, there was a
> widespread community of semi-autonomous projects, under the
> openoffice.org"umbrella".  One way to divide this is by the
> "development" functions, by
> which I mean the things that lead directly to the artifacts that were part
> of the official OOo releases:
>
>    - programmers, including localization and accessibility
>    - testers
>    - product documentation
>    - UI design
>    - content designers for templates, samples, etc.
>    - build/release management
>
> I think that it will be ideal to get all volunteers working in this set of
> functions into the same Apache OpenOffice.org project, under the same
> license, and working together.
>

> And then there are other functions that helped promote and support the
> releases and the users who adopted the releases:
>
>    - marketing
>    - support forums
>    - event organizers
>    - and many other similar functions

Just a small comment here: the "product documentation" in your first
list is, I assume, the Help shipped with the product.

There is another set of documentation, the user docs, which mostly
produced by the community. These include user guides -- available in
ODT, PDF, wiki (OOo 3.2 and earlier), and printed form -- and the
documentation wiki (containing, among other things howtos, tutorials,
faqs, etc). IMO these user guides and wiki items are in the "user
support" area, along with support forums -- a subset of your "many other
similar functions".

The user guides are produced by an autonomous group formerly known as
"OOoAuthors" (now called "ODFAuthors"), which uses its own website (on a
server provided by TDF) for tracking production of the documents. Those
documents are then made available for download through the OOo wiki.

I think we therefore fall into the category that you describe below,
with all the potential tradeoffs that you have mentioned. So I am very
glad that you started this thread. I shall have more to say later.

--Jean