incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Hollis Weber <>
Subject Re: Proposed short term goals
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 05:47:18 GMT
On Monday, 13 June 2011, Rob Weir wrote:

> At a very high level view, I think we want to set a handful of short
> term goals, generally around transitioning the project from the
> Oracle infrastructure to Apache infrastructure.
> [snip]
> It is moving day for OpenOffice! We need to pack everything from
> that we want to keep and bring it over to Apache.
> Although we are not obligated to do things exactly how they were done
> before in, it seems that the nature of the project is
> that we'll have some clearly distinguished functional subgroups within
> the project, including:
> 1) Development, including release management
> 2) Translation/Localization
> 3) Documentation, both in-product and on-website
> 4) User support, including user forums
> 5) Marketing
> (Are there any others?  I may be missing something.)
> I think it would be great if the Committers sort themselves up for one
> or more of these functions and help drive the project to some
> short-term goals.  Maybe each function has its own email list? (dev,
> translation, doc, support, marketing)  Plus a "general" list for
> cross-cutting discussions?
> [snip]
> Ditto for documentation and support.  We need to find out what needs
> to be packed up, and find a place for it on the new Apache
> infrastructure.  This includes product-resources, i.e., things that
> get included in the released install image, but also user-facing web
> content and project-facing web content.
> [snip]
> In order to remain coordinated, I'd also suggest that each team sketch
> out a plan, maybe on a wiki, for what substeps are needed to achieve
> these initial goals.
> Does this make sense?  We need to get to a point where Oracle can
> hand over the DNS entries for to Apache shut off their
> servers, and have continuity of all important project and user systems
> running on the Apache infrastructure.  And by continuity, the ideal
> situation would be continuity at the level of a link as well, e.g., an
> external link to an web site would remain useful after
> the transition, although it might be redirected.

This sounds extremely sensible to me, and I agree. I will assist with
documentation, and I also have an interest in user support. Sketching
plans on a wiki sounds like a good place to start, and IMO dedicated
lists would be helpful.

In a separate note, Rob wrote,
> But let's look at this also from a community-building perspective...
> maybe there are some things our non-programmer project experts could
> be doing in parallel? Even if, in the interest of not overwhelming
> infrastructure, we hold off actually moving things, maybe we can at
> least get some planning activities around, say, developing a site map
> for as it is today and making up a table for how we
> would like the subsites to be mapped.

Planning now is good. As I mentioned in another note, some of the
user-facing services (including documentation) seriously need to be
improved, updated, rationalised, and so on. Others have noted this, too.

View raw message