incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Hollis Weber <>
Subject Re: Wiki for the project
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 05:39:36 GMT
On 14 June 2011, Dennis Hamilton wrote,
> I know that the LibreOffice folk have been rapidly rebranding and
> reissuing user documentation as well, along with on-line and off-line
> help.  I am not sure whether it is all Creative Commons Attribution
> (some have that as part of a dual licensing, it appears, others seem
> to be rather murky concerning what the license might be), but I
> suspect we need to give some consideration to whether and how that
> effort is accommodated.

All of the LibreOffice and user guides (in whatever form:
wiki pages, PDF, printed) are licensed CC-BY, except for one chapter in
the Calc Guide that is CC-BY-SA only. Most chapters in the PDF and
printed versions of the user guides are dual-licensed CC-BY and GPL.

The copyright statement for all but that one chapter is as follows:

"This document is Copyright © 2005–2011 by its contributors as listed
below. You may distribute it and/or modify it under the terms of either
the GNU General Public License (,
version 3 or later, or the Creative Commons Attribution License
(, version 3.0 or later."

Our intention was that derivative works could be licensed under one or
the other of the two licenses listed, or continue to be dual licensed.
IANAL, but my understanding is that these works could drop the GPL dual
license and be CC-BY only.

Online help is a different matter, which Frank Peters has addressed.

View raw message