incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Consequences of Working in Office Documents Here
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2011 06:06:44 GMT
It's true that we could bring things around and shoe-horn them into the SVN DIFF model, like
using a CSV, or not minding that HTML diffs aren't that illuminating but we get them for what
they are worth, etc.

Of course, using a CSV loses a lot of information and anything that was done in the design
of the spreadsheet to facilitate its use, in my chosen example.

Now, in this case, the spreadsheet was from a committer. And other committers knew how to
retrieve it, update it, and resubmit to SVN with an informative enough commit message.  This
is not a complex case, it was just illustrative of the different level.

The question I did not answer, because I do not know the answer:  What is a straightforward
way for someone who was not raised as a Martian to contribute without being compelled to commit
unnatural (for a Venusian) acts.  What is a way to contribute that does not require an unnatural
change in already-successful ways of working?  And what is the cutover where the contribution
is substantial enough that an iCLA is required anyhow?

It seems to me there is an impedance mismatch for non-developer contributions of content that
becomes part of an Apache deliverable.  I don't question policies that are involved.  I am
wondering about the logistics and the friction of shoe-horning contributors into a practice
that is designed around submission of patches and requires arcane Martian technology.

Perhaps this is too hypothetical.

I would like to hear from non-developer members of ooo-Dev who want to contribute, and what
the nature of the envisioned contribution is.  Maybe some concrete use cases can clear this
up for all of us.

 - Dennis