incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Can we release OOo_3.4.0 install sets and language packs? (was: Can we rationalize and formalize "a language project"?)
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 02:34:18 GMT
This is an informal response.  It is my thinking that the time difference is difficult.  I
offer this little bit to think about.  I am not involved in the OpenOffice.org build and release
process.  This is my assessment as observer here:

(One by one is good).

 1. I assume you are asking about the OOO-dev 3.4.0 Developer Snapshot now available from
OpenOffice.org.  How can this be advanced from that beta state to release candidate and official
distribution?  Next, how and when can _ja builds be available?  These are the questions, yes?

 2. There are difficulties.  There is a journey:

 3. Permission is required for incubator to make a release.

 4. Before that, we must be able to build even OOO-dev 3.4.0 (or some limited version of it)
from source code at Apache.  And restore maintenance and testing process too.

 5. Before or during that, we may have to find substitutions or replacements for parts that
are not available or not acceptable to Apache.

 5. Before that, we must obtain whatever source code and other artifacts that are available
from Oracle.

I think OpenOffice.org experts will have better details.

Your questions are very important.

Other participants from OpenOffice.org share your concern and are working to find solution.

 - Dennis