incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Teams and Leads
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 00:04:48 GMT
+1

-----Original Message-----
From: Jomar Silva [mailto:homembit@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2011 16:04
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Teams and Leads

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:
[ ... ]

> 2) Have the national language projects run outside of Apache.  Since
> anyone can modify the code we released and repackage it and distribute
> it, it should be possible for any party to independently add
> translations and even rename it for distribution in their country.  Of
> course, while respecting the license and trademark requirements.

I really like the idea number 2.

At least in Brazil, we used to have a lot of traffic on our native
language mailing list, and a lot of people raising their hands to help
with a lot of things. A big part of the BR community here don't speak
english, so they may only contribute when they have a place to discuss
on our native language (I really dislike the idea to have some folks
acting as a language proxy for the whole community). There are also
many particularities on how each country's community do their
collaborative work and how they're organized.

As far as the Apache licence and trademarks policy are respected by
the "national languages" teams, I believe that we could have a better
dinamic on the whole process if we go for something like Rob's idea
#2.

Best,

Jomar