incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: ODF Toolkit Incubation Pre-Proposal
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2011 02:01:39 GMT
These things (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_POI#History_and_roadmap) just make me cringe.
 At least Charles Simonyi (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Simonyi>)has the consolation
of traveling into space (twice!) and various philanthropic activities.

I assume, when speaking of an OLE2 Compound Document File format, one is *not* speaking of
all Microsoft Office file formats but specifically the Office 97 - 2003 (-2010?) binary container
format also known, I believe, as the DocFile format?  (I thought it was used in Word 6.0 too,
but I don't trust my recollection.)

Perhaps an appropriate expression (although I love the JIRA connection to Godzilla, had I
known it) for Japanese consumption would be Honorable SpreadSheet Format, eXalted SpreadSheet
Format, etc.

A certain tilting of the head is appropriate when speaking the names of these objects.  POIFS
is, respectfully, the Politely Obvious Information File System.  DDF (Devilish Drawing Format)
is spoken of only in hushed reverence at mens smokers.  VDGF is certainly more appropriate
for the Venerable DiaGram Format.

The details of CDF, some common components, and their use representing documents of the different
Office Applications, are now available on-line in a show of compliance to various regulatory
authorities: <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc313118.aspx>.  The set has been
expanded to include the Outlook .PST format, though I suspect that might not be based on CDF.

I cannot attest to anything about their quality or accuracy, limiting my struggles at overcoming
obfuscation to ODF these days.

 - Dennis