incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: An svn question
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2011 19:37:49 GMT
The separate Hg repositories could go into separate sub-project branches if that is more convenient
for bringing them over.  My sense is that once they are in Subversion, it is relatively easy
to massage them or consolidate into a composite project tree (by SVN copying) that is where
any further adaptation and use occurs - I am assuming there are no collisions between Hg subprojects.

I think the bigger issue is preserving the Hg history and the different revisions.

Is there any agreement on how deeply we need history, is the full history essential for provenance
reasons?

 - Dennis

PS: I wonder, was there history lost as part of the past move to Hg?  I had the sense it was
preserved, but am now unsure.

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Stein [mailto:gstein@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:18
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: An svn question

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 14:02, Pedro F. Giffuni <giffunip@tutopia.com> wrote:
> Disclaimer: I am no SVN expert but I play a lot with
> FreeBSD's SVN repository.
>
> --- On Thu, 6/23/11, Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm no svn expert, but I hope to find some here.
>>
>> We still have a lot of work in so called child workspaces
>> (in Mercurial they are just an own repository that
>> originates from the "main" repository).
>
> In subversion those are "branches", so you create a branch
> everytime there is a release or if you want to create a
> your own custom project with experimental changes that will
> be merged later on.

Yup. Here is how the Subversion project itself uses branches:

  http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/general.html#branch-policy

Regarding the existing CWSs, those repositories "should be" imported
as branches here at the ASF. I'm not entirely sure how to gather up a
bunch of Hg repositories and blend them into a single repository, but
that would be best. We can then convert that single Hg repository to
Subversion and load the sucker onto svn.apache.org.

Cheers,
-g