incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Differences between OOO and LibreOffice.
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 16:18:15 GMT
>From this, is it more precise to say that OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice.org provide 100%
fidelity in interchange of documents with each other when employing their common native format,
ODF?

And the presumption for that is the common code base which is their common inheritance assures
that, at least for now?

Is it safe to conclude that this statement does not extend to anything about completeness
and quality of support for ODF beyond the fact that, all else being equal, whatever the one
produces and carries via the ODF format, the other successfully consumes?  And this is without
qualification?

If this statement were made in front of an audience of users or officials or executives, would
it be better to say that OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice.org are compatible (in their support
for and reliance on ODF)?  Is this a promise that they are and will be kept that way?

What is it you want the take-away to be that has you use the expression "odf files with 100%
fidelity."  What is meant to be reassuring about that?

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Lynch [mailto:ianrlynch@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2011 01:56
To: dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Cc: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org; giffunip@tutopia.com
Subject: Re: Differences between OOO and LibreOffice.

On 30 June 2011 07:10, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:

> Umm, 100% fidelity to/of what?  I would love to understand the
> qualifications that attach to that statement, and how whatever that is can
> be demonstrated/verified.
>
> "[T]hey both operate on odf files with 100% fidelity."

If I save an odf file from OOo it will open exactly the same in LibO. If
that isn't true than I would be interested to know where things break.
(Fonts I think are a different issue) If it isn't 100% true it is pretty
likely to be more true than filtering to either other applications that use
odf or .doc etc. From an end user point of view all they will be concerned
about is that files produced in OOo don't break in any way if imported into
LibO or vice versa. Of course product divergence might make this less likely
but at the moment I don't think there is a significant problem but I'm
willing to be corrected. So do we scare the end user or give them more
confidence?

In terms of verification or otherwise, give me a file created in OOo that
will not open correctly in LibO other than because the fonts are different
on the two systems creating the files. If you prefer to say that OOo/LibO
use the same file format so you are safe exchanging files between OOo and
LibO, Ok, better to get rid of all mentions of technical stuff for end users
in any case. What we need is to give reasonable confidence to the end user
rather than obscure (to them) technical reasons why that might on some
almost impossibly rare occasion not be the case.
--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.