incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Wiki for the project
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 17:28:11 GMT
Um, so where would that and other thoughts be on-topic?  I have many thoughts about on-/off-line
help bridging too.  Is this the ooo-issues list.  (I really must catch up on my reading of
the groundrules here.)

I take it that the on-line help is under Oracle copyright and can be/has been licensed by
Oracle then?

What do you mean by one wiki for both the project and the product?  I am always concerned
that non-developing users, even power users have collaborative resources that work in the
context of their needs and interests.

 - Dennis

PS [Wishing we didn't use MoinMoin for a public-participative wiki and especially for documentation,
but maybe there is other Apache tooling that saves us from MoinMoin awkwardness.]

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Peters [mailto:frank.thomas.peters@googlemail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:15
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Wiki for the project

[ ... ]

Why don't we start an Apache wiki with podling activities and
work on preparing the migration of data from the current
wiki. It would also be a good opportunity to do some
housekeeping there. We would finally end up with one
wiki for both the project and the product.

[ ... ]

Online help originally is LGPL since it is part of the
source tree. I have been involved in both the help XML format
and the help authoring framework that was mentioned in another
thread, so I'd be happy to help out here as well.

One thing we need to consider is the cost of localization
of the application help (around 400k words), so we should
carefully balance cost for the project vs benefit to the user.

My favorite way to go would be having core help with the bits
and "extended" help online, but that is off-topic here.

Frank