incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Some more strange files in the OOo code - the Ghost of ODMA Past
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 09:19:24 GMT
Oh dear, my past comes along to haunt me.

If you go to the home page, http://odma.info, you'll see that the other Downloads link is
to ODMA License 1.0 (modeled on the BSD License).  If you look in the lower right hand corner
of the license page, you'll know why I should be hiding behind the sofa.

We pulled this together in 2004 because someone was concerned about using those headers and
redistributing the ODMA 2.0 Connection Manager.  I think it was Michael Meeks, but we didn't
know what he needed it for.

I notice that there are still dialogs in LibreOffice to control whether ODMA dialogs are used
or not.  I did some tests at one point and discovered that the code was brittle and didn't
adapt to the absence of ODMA support the way it is supposed to.  That was 3-4 years ago and
I haven't tested a *Office.org drop since.  I think I also fumbled an e-mail exchange with
the developer.  (Tor Lillqvist, last communication in March 2008.)

The only complaint you might get is from folks who rely on the integration of *Office.org
with Groupwise, wherever it might still be running.  I think the current ODMA code in *Office.org
is basically enough to work in a Groupwise configuration and chancy otherwise.  But don't
take my word for it, I don't follow these products any longer.

If I had to prioritize, I would recommend CMIS integration first, keep rounding the edges
on WebDAV support, and I don't know what to say about Groupwise via ODMA.

 - Dennis

BACK STORY, EXCESSIVE DETAILS

The site is still mine though.  I've never modified the headers to mention the license, although
I have a partly-refactored set of headers that work better, if I dare to say it.  Incomplete
work.

The ODMA SDK is not what you really need.  You need to dynamically load the ODMA Connection
Manager, if it is present, and bind only the entry points you need, especially because you
may have a down-level Connection Manager or it may be connecting you to a down-level DMS integration.
 Also, you need to be prepared to fail to find that there is a DMS configured for working
with swriter (the usual app) even though the ODMA Connection manager is present on the system.
 It is all about negotiation and dynamic binding and the SDK doesn't address that at all.
 (Think of ODMA as TWAIN for document management back in early client-server days.)  There
are even exposed COM interfaces that might fit with UNO, although the C Language bindings
and the COM interfaces have some odd semantic differences.  (I built a COM binary-interface
static-library wrapper for ODMA that needs to be refactored, but it worked well enough to
provide Java access to ODMA via JNI.)

  You can use the header file(s), or an improved derivative of the headers (and I might be
coaxed), but the SDK doesn't tell the real story for a production integration.  The .lib is
not what you want to statically bind into your program, and the only other material consists
of two mildly defective samples good for a little smoke testing but not much else.

 - Dennis