incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members - AND USERS
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2011 21:16:18 GMT
I think this is extremely important and I'm embarrassed that I missed it.

I'm also thinking that we need an ooo-user list pretty soon.

It should be here, so we can subscribe it or NNTP it and have it appear in the same context
in which we observe and participate on ooo-DEV.  But it needs to be more comfortable for users
and not putting dev-lingo in their face (until, perhaps, they finally nerve up and come over
to the dark side).

 - Dennis

Watching the different lists at LibreOffice, I see a different liveliness with the user list
(and the usual cacophony too).  It is basically where one learns about the difficulties and
barriers that users are experiencing at the surface of the software and in their work.  Other
users and devs can offer workarounds, but it is having the experience of users inside the
radar of devs, such as on a companion list, that there can be a big contribution to all of
us.

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcus (OOo) [mailto:marcus.mail@wtnet.de]
Sent: Friday, June 24, 2011 07:29
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members

Am 06/24/2011 03:48 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> Since almost all of us are new to Apache we're learning a lot about
> how Apache projects organize themselves.  Based on my reading, I
> understand that Apache projects have three degrees of participation:

0) Users that are just working with the software. Since this is the most
wanted thing we want to reach, IMHO we shouldn't forget for whom we are
doing all this stuff.

Especially when these users are also talking about the software (and/or
the project, too) and therefor are spreading the word about OOo, we
should count them to the circle of participants.

> 1) - 3)

ACK

[ ... ]