incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: User facing web items - IP concerns
Date Sat, 18 Jun 2011 17:43:48 GMT
My nosing around so far leads me to believe that this is like the response to the Facebook
"relationship" question: "It's complicated."  Until Facebook, I had no idea how many people
said that about their relationships.

Some sites have explicit CC-share-alike content, some have code that is apparently derivative
of the OpenOffice.org LGPL3 base, and Sun/Oracle made a mess of the licensing used on and
around the openoffice.org site, including a terms of use that defaults a permissive license
that apparently not many people had ever seen or knew existed.

I signed up on the wiki.services.openoffice.org wiki just the other day and I saw no indication
of the terms of use, just the lame wiki copyright page.

In addition, as Jean Weber points out, the on-line user documentation does have explicit copyright
notices.

Hmm, I haven't nosed into the forums.  Or the bugzilla either.  Well, it's complicated.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Ross Gardler [mailto:rgardler@opendirective.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2011 10:24
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Cc: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: User facing web items

Can you please clarify the legal status of the content on the forums?

We've been told code is Apache licensed, but what about the content?

This same question applies to the content on the user mail lists (asked about elsewhere in
this thread).

Ross

Sent from my mobile device (so please excuse typos)

On 18 Jun 2011, at 18:14, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2011, at 9:33 AM, eric b wrote:
>
>> OOops, sorry, should read:
>>
>> "Can someone explain why OOo4Kids and OOoLight are missing in this list ?"
>
> Thanks for the reminder.
>
> As for explanations the Apache podling and committers are still getting organized. The
project website is just there and we had our first commits in our SVN repos just last night
- the website. We are waiting on Wikis. Haven't decided on Bugzilla vs. JIRA ...